“Together, the top 20 investment banks are those who work with the most in-demand clients; balance breadth, selectivity, and accuracy in the buyers they engage; and generate the largest number of positive outcomes for their clients,” Axial stated.
Axial’s main criteria for placement on the list include:
- Client Quality: Buy-side demand for engagements represented by the advisor
- Buy-Side Targeting: The advisor’s ability to balance selectivity, accuracy, and breadth when identifying potential buyers
- Process Effectiveness: The advisor’s ability to generate positive outcomes for their client
Other data that Axial evaluates includes:
- Overall Deal Relevance: How many buy-side mandates (financial and strategic) align with the advisor’s engagements.
- Process Selectivity: How broad or narrow are the advisors’ sell-side processes relative to their peers.
- Signed NDAs: How many buyers showed interest in each of the advisor’s offerings, measured by the number of signed NDAs.
- Buyer Referrals: Buyer feedback that Axial receives on the way the advisor manages their processes.
- Closed Deals: How many deals has the advisor closed involving one more Axial buyers.
Many other lists of this type evaluate the investment banker only on deal and/or dollar volume.
Axial (www.axial.net) is an online network for buying and selling businesses in the North American lower middle market. Sellers post their offerings and buyers post their criteria on the Axial website. Axial’s strong interface then matches possible buyers and sellers according to their data. Over 791 investment banks posted businesses for sale on Axial in the first quarter 2020.
Concord Ventures is a boutique investment banking firm representing business sellers in the $3,000,000-$1,000,000,000 value range in manufacturing, service, distribution, retail, and technology. Concord Ventures also provides financing services for acquisitions and recapitalizations and offers business valuation services. We are headquartered near Seattle, in Bellevue, WA. For more information, see https://www.concordventuresinc.com.